Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cutting the Acrylic

Finally got around to making the cuts, and I have to admit I was a little bit nervous.  I have had some experience cutting acrylic at a college lab where you have nice precise tools, and we used a nice band saw and a mill.  At home, I don't have such luxuries though.  Had to throw it onto our good old table saw and hope for the best.


Acrylic and table saw.



3/8" thick.  I was dreading that it would crack/chip/melt all the way down as I cut it.  After triple checking the measurements (twice) and muttering a few words of prayer I donned my safety glasses and fired up the beast.



First cut, turned out very nice actually.  *pats self on back*



As a matter of fact, it all went very smoothly.  I felt pretty pro by the last cut.



After a bit of sanding on the edges it is pretty much all set for being welded together.

Top view...  (or is it?)

Not a whole lot to say here, I am waiting until the post office opens tomorrow and then I'll go grab my welding solvent and weld the thing together.  I've got a few more cuts to make but those are going to be on the acrylic piece that's holding the motherboard in my current pc, so I'll wait until I'm closer to completion for those.  The idea is to have the acrylic supporting the motherboard sliding in and out along a track that I will weld onto the sides of the case.

I'm still figuring out how to mount the two radiators onto the back of the case, I've got an idea but I'm just thinking a bit more about it to make sure it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment