Saturday, October 8, 2011

Submerged!

The oil finally arrived at the Cenex store, I picked it up on the way home from work and promptly went on to the drowning.








Had to clean off the cpu and graphics heatsinks because the thermal paste would have dissolved in the oil...



Got my start/reset buttons temporarily held in place with a piece of wire...





5 gallons of livestock drugs...  more than I need, but I don't wan't to have to go through this whole process again to get more.




Heatsinks back in place.  I've heard that some power supplies won't power on if there isn't some resistance in the fan wires, which is by default made by a fan but could possible be replaced with a simple resistor instead.  I chose to use the power supple fan on the cpu, since I don't think the low speed one I had would turn at all in the oil.




Filling it up with oil...  1 gallon down.





Power supply is fully submerged.  I did a quick power on to see if it worked, and it did :)




2 gallons.  It is here that I noticed a small leak on the bottom back left corner.  How annoying!



As awesome as it looks, it all had to come out.  Getting all the oil off of the now soaked components is nearly impossible however I let it drip overnight and called it good in the morning.




Time to leak proof it (again).  There are a few reasons as to why I didn't notice this when I tested with water.
1.  Perhaps the oil will simply fit through smaller cracks.
2.  The water may have leaked so slowly that it evaporated before I would notice it.  Oil doesn't evaporate so it would eventually build up enough to be noticed.
3.  The case may have developed this new leak as it expanded/cooled with the heat over the past few weeks.

Who knows...



















The next day, filled it with oil about an inch higher than shown there.  Temps at idle are cpu at 27C, graphics at 42, and I'm guessing the oil is at 27.  I say guessing because the external probe that I put in there says 32C but I don't see how the processor can stay cooler than the oil.  I'll update again when I've had a chance to see how it handles under load.

2 comments:

  1. OK, Samuel, this it pretty interesting! I can only imagine what sort of malady might require 5 gallons of mineral oil meant to be a livestock drug. So proud this came from the Chimacum Cenex, of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is only my humble beginning! It's got a lot more work I need to put into it... needs a wide array or temp sensors put in key places, a few awesome lights (probably electroluminescent wire), perhaps some smart fan controls...

    Now that I'm getting more comfortable working with it all I've got loads of neat ideas that I want to implement :)

    ReplyDelete